Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Shop Spotlight: "What are you knitting?"




My current shop sample in progress is taking me outside my comfort zone - and I'm loving it! I'm not usually a laceweight knitter - I like big needles, bulky projects, and anything I can finish in three hours.

My Citron shawl is breaking me out of that box, and I'm really enjoying the process. This laceweight shawlette is teaching me to savor the process and not just the end result.


The pattern (Citron, by Hilary Smith Callis) can be found for free at Knitty.com. I would highly recommend supporting the pattern designer - she has a paid version of the shawl pattern, Citron Grand. It expands the free pattern to up to 10 sections (the free pattern only has 5), includes detailed instructions, and a photo tutorial to explain her garter tab cast on. Well worth the $4 in my opinion!

The yarn I'm using is Maharashta Silk in color 07, and I have to say, the hank doesn't come close to showing off how wonderful this yarn is. Maharashta Silk is 100% Silk with approx 800 yards per 100g. It knits to 9 sts per inch on a US 1 needle. Used in the Citron pattern, this yarn knits up into a light and airy shawlette that still feels substantial. The pattern shows off the pooling and color variation to a very nice effect.

The nice thing about a half circle shawl is that it zooms by...for the first two increase sections. The third section is where I started slowing down - jumping from 129 to 252 stitches definitely changed my pace.

I'm savoring the process with this shawl, and think I'm going to love the end product all the more because of the time and care I've taken with it.

If you'd like to knit a Maharashta Silk Citron of your own, you can order the yarn on our website, or call the shop! We ship everywhere.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I don't usually knit with laceweight either (though I do love sock yarn), but I've had Citron in my Ravelry queue forever. Your post may move that up in the to-be-knit list!

    ReplyDelete